Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club

The website for the Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club

5 posters

Heads up for all of you

vauxhallnutter
    vauxhallnutter
    Admin

Heads up for all of you Empty Heads up for all of you

Post  vauxhallnutter Sun May 03, 2009 5:26 pm

It looks like sadly the old site is lost forever and quite frankly I blame the bad design of the VB software for it getting hacked in the first place. I should have a final 'yes or no' as to whether the old site is savable or not by early this week but the way it is going at the moment it looks like its going to be a no. The server company are doing everything they possibly can at the moment to try and sort this for me but its not looking good.

I have been spying out new forums and the best one i have found so far is SMF which mk2cav.com use so I think if the worst does happen thats the way i'll go because as much as I like the format of this site, it is a little hard to admin effectively and plus I find its a little airy fairy in places.

If you want to take a look at the software running, here's the site: http://www.mk2cav.com/forum/index.php

Comments please
    Vectra-Arctic
    Vectra-Arctic

Heads up for all of you Empty Re: Heads up for all of you

Post  Vectra-Arctic Sun May 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Mark, do the Hosting Server company do not backup the data element of the old VODC site ?.

It is a shame as so much knowledge, entertainment and useful information will be lost, the essence of the old VODC will be lost. Most of the old users will not find their way onto here.

I know you put a lot of work and time into the old VODC and I sincerely hope it will be able to rise back into life and I'm sure a lot of VODC people are grateful for your hard work and we'll support you on here and the path you want to take.
    mitch1965
    mitch1965

Post  mitch1965 Sun May 03, 2009 5:42 pm

Vectra-Arctic wrote:Mark, do the Hosting Server company do not backup the data element of the old VODC site ?.

It is a shame as so much knowledge, entertainment and useful information will be lost, the essence of the old VODC will be lost. Most of the old users will not find their way onto here.

I know you put a lot of work and time into the old VODC and I sincerely hope it will be able to rise back into life and I'm sure a lot of VODC people are grateful for your hard work and we'll support you on here and the path you want to take.

I just want to say that i agree with the above, so much effort put into the site, by yourself & on't forget that but also the effort we have had from all the members that logged on & gave out usefull info to, so a big respect to everyoe who made Vodc, & long may it reign

If we have to go and build it up again i am sure we can find most of the folk, or they will find us eventually. Cool Cool

I offer any help i can Mark, AS tiny as it would be but i am here to help/support. Very Happy Very Happy
    Vectra-Arctic
    Vectra-Arctic

Post  Vectra-Arctic Sun May 03, 2009 5:51 pm

Mark, I've posted a note about VODC being down on www.mk3oc.co.uk the Astra Mk3 site. Perhaps if any others on here are on other site perhaps some of our other members may not know about VODC being down and out. Can we post on these other sites in the hope of some of our VODC members find their way onto here?

Likewise Mark, you have my full support and help.

David
    vauxhallnutter
    vauxhallnutter
    Admin

Post  vauxhallnutter Sun May 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Vectra-Arctic wrote:Mark, do the Hosting Server company do not backup the data element of the old VODC site ?.

It was indeed backed up but for the back up to work you need other bits to work first and they are the bits that are corrupt.

I will try and explain this to the best of my knowledge.......

Basically sites like our regular one are run from a 'mysql' database which is a database that only computers can read and has to have all elements working for it to function. We have a database backed up but its nie on useless without the correct software, I could buy the VB software again and it may work but there is no guarantees so that is why I think its a good idea to go for the SMF software because i) its free ii) its got a good upgrade and support package iii) Good security and finally its easy to admin and use so really if we have to do it all again its a bit of a no brainer really!

If we do have to rebuild (I keep saying if just in case there is a glimour of hope that the old site will come back) then it will be added to the regular server so the address will be the same so hopefully people will come along and see whats happened and re register.

I would like to thank you all for your continued support through all of this and so much so that next year when this is all behind us there will be a free event for all club members - hold me to it as I will forget!

I have to say that its my birthday tomorrow (tues) and this hacking happening has got to be the worst birthday present ever!!
    vauxhallnutter
    vauxhallnutter
    Admin

Post  vauxhallnutter Sun May 03, 2009 6:01 pm

Vectra-Arctic wrote:Mark, I've posted a note about VODC being down on www.mk3oc.co.uk the Astra Mk3 site. Perhaps if any others on here are on other site perhaps some of our other members may not know about VODC being down and out. Can we post on these other sites in the hope of some of our VODC members find their way onto here?

Likewise Mark, you have my full support and help.

David

Thank you matey,

Believe me it will take more than this to kill the VODC!!!

Message for the hackers:

You are a bunch of low life scum who deserve to rot in hell you f'kin w'kers!

appologies for that, I feel better now!!!!
    vauxhallnutter
    vauxhallnutter
    Admin

Post  vauxhallnutter Sun May 03, 2009 6:06 pm

mitch1965 wrote:

I just want to say that i agree with the above, so much effort put into the site, by yourself & on't forget that but also the effort we have had from all the members that logged on & gave out usefull info to, so a big respect to everyoe who made Vodc, & long may it reign

If we have to go and build it up again i am sure we can find most of the folk, or they will find us eventually. Cool Cool

I offer any help i can Mark, AS tiny as it would be but i am here to help/support. Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you mitch, I am sure I will be taking you up on that offer as you have a unique talent - the ability to post loads of useful and interesting stuff on the site in a short space of time! lol!

Quite luckily we have a few more like you as well so i think that if we rebuild then we will soon have loads of interesting stuff on there.

I will take all the posts off here that are useful / interesting such as the how to's etc
    mitch1965
    mitch1965

Post  mitch1965 Sun May 03, 2009 6:21 pm

vauxhallnutter wrote:
    mitch1965 wrote:

Thank you mitch, I am sure I will be taking you up on that offer as you have a unique talent - the ability to post loads of uselees cr*p and boring stuff!! on the site in a short space of time! lol!

Quite luckily we have a few more like you as well so i think that if we rebuild then we will soon have loads of interesting stuff on there.

I will take all the posts off here that are useful / interesting such as the how to's etc

Lmao!! yes i know i do have a talent to bore folk!!! jocolor jocolor geek geek
    Vectra-Arctic
    Vectra-Arctic

Post  Vectra-Arctic Sun May 03, 2009 6:33 pm

vauxhallnutter wrote:

It was indeed backed up but for the back up to work you need other bits to work first and they are the bits that are corrupt.

Basically sites like our regular one are run from a 'mysql' database which is a database that only computers can read and has to have all elements working for it to function. We have a database backed up but its nie on useless without the correct software, I could buy the VB software again and it may work but there is no guarantees so that is why I think its a good idea to go for the SMF software because i) its free ii) its got a good upgrade and support package iii) Good security and finally its easy to admin and use so really if we have to do it all again its a bit of a no brainer really!

If we do have to rebuild (I keep saying if just in case there is a glimour of hope that the old site will come back) then it will be added to the regular server so the address will be the same so hopefully people will come along and see whats happened and re register.

I would like to thank you all for your continued support through all of this and so much so that next year when this is all behind us there will be a free event for all club members - hold me to it as I will forget!

I have to say that its my birthday tomorrow (tues) and this hacking happening has got to be the worst birthday present ever!!

As the 'Database' is in SQL, the new SMF software should read it ok, the licence you currently have for VB should allow you to do a fresh install it at the Server Hosting company, access the Database and up you go. Then a planned phased migration to SMF should you decide that the way you want to go.
    vauxhallnutter
    vauxhallnutter
    Admin

Post  vauxhallnutter Sun May 03, 2009 7:01 pm

Vectra-Arctic wrote:
    vauxhallnutter wrote:

As the 'Database' is in SQL, the new SMF software should read it ok, the licence you currently have for VB should allow you to do a fresh install it at the Server Hosting company, access the Database and up you go. Then a planned phased migration to SMF should you decide that the way you want to go.

I will certainly give it a try but I fear that info may have been deleted from the database so it may be useless anyway, I should have a firm answer by tuesday as to eactly what is going on so I think I will just take it from there. I have all the 'file transfer' software here ready and waiting so it should be fairly easy to get something up and running - VB or not

I will be after all sorts of help to get things sorted so stand by!!
    liz86

Post  liz86 Sun May 03, 2009 9:07 pm

mark behind you all the way hun xx

we all are really greatful for everything youve done for us and the site and if we could give you the best birthday prezzy ever then we really would Smile just hope 39 is going to be our lucky number tomorrow Razz

even if everything is lost then VODC WILL LIVE ON BIGGER AND STRONGER
    envoy cdx
    envoy cdx

Post  envoy cdx Mon May 04, 2009 2:11 am

Vectra-Arctic wrote:

Aye, the database is just a database after all - in theory any package should be able to read it, but vB should be able to supply the software since you have the license anyhow for a full upload and data restore.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:17 am