Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club

The website for the Vauxhall Opel Drivers Club

2 posters

How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay.

Poll

Helpful?

[ 1 ]
    How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay. Bar_left100%How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay. Bar_right [100%] 
    [ 0 ]
    How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay. Bar_left0%How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay. Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 1
    envoy cdx
    envoy cdx

How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay. Empty How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay.

Post  envoy cdx Sat May 02, 2009 1:23 pm

How2: Fit an Omega Variable Wiper Stalk

Tools required:
    1x flat blade screwdriver
    1x cross blade screwdriver
    1x pair of snips
    1x soldering iron
    1x roll of electricians tape or length of heat shrink

In this how2, you will learn (if you want to that is) how to install a Omega variable wiper stalk. Now you maybe asking "What is so special about this stalk??" - well, simply put it allows you to alter the wipe speed between 12.5 and 3 seconds* (*I believe these are the intervals, will double check).

Firstly, you will need to obtain both the wiper stalk (if you have a saloon, get the saloon stalk and if a hatch get the estate stalk) and the required relay.

Secondly, open the fuse box and locate the Wiper relay - remove this and replace it with the Omega item, they are basically the same, but the omega relay is a smidgen taller - fits perfectly.

Thirdly. remove the steering shroud - you shouldn't have any problems working behind the steering wheel, but if you do - you could always remove the wheel - I didn't have to so will not go into any detail on how to do so.

Next, remove the old wiper stalk (depress the 2 little clips at the top and bottom of the stalk will release it) and unclip the wiring.

Now, if you locate the positive black / yellow wire and snip it do this so that you have PLENTY of wire to play with either side as you need to connect bother ends to the new wiper stalk.

On the stalk you should have a pair of wires separate from the rest - 1 being black / yellow the other being black / white. Join these wires to each of the wire you have just cut so that it forms a loop.

Solder together and tape or heat shrink and reassemble as you took apart and the job is done.

Pictures to follow.

Disclaimer:
    Neither Myself or VODC and it's owner can or will be held responsible for any damage done to your vehicle by performing this modification. I have performed this mod on my own vehicle with no ill effect. Any mods performed are at your own risk / leisure.

If you have any questions, please do ask.
    vauxhallnutter
    vauxhallnutter
    Admin

How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay. Empty Re: How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay.

Post  vauxhallnutter Sat May 02, 2009 11:39 pm

envoy cdx wrote:How2: Fit an Omega Variable Wiper Stalk

Tools required:
    1x flat blade screwdriver
    1x cross blade screwdriver
    1x pair of snips
    1x soldering iron
    1x roll of electricians tape or length of heat shrink

In this how2, you will learn (if you want to that is) how to install a Omega variable wiper stalk. Now you maybe asking "What is so special about this stalk??" - well, simply put it allows you to alter the wipe speed between 12.5 and 3 seconds* (*I believe these are the intervals, will double check).

Firstly, you will need to obtain both the wiper stalk (if you have a saloon, get the saloon stalk and if a hatch get the estate stalk) and the required relay.

Secondly, open the fuse box and locate the Wiper relay - remove this and replace it with the Omega item, they are basically the same, but the omega relay is a smidgen taller - fits perfectly.

Thirdly. remove the steering shroud - you shouldn't have any problems working behind the steering wheel, but if you do - you could always remove the wheel - I didn't have to so will not go into any detail on how to do so.

Next, remove the old wiper stalk (depress the 2 little clips at the top and bottom of the stalk will release it) and unclip the wiring.

Now, if you locate the positive black / yellow wire and snip it do this so that you have PLENTY of wire to play with either side as you need to connect bother ends to the new wiper stalk.

On the stalk you should have a pair of wires separate from the rest - 1 being black / yellow the other being black / white. Join these wires to each of the wire you have just cut so that it forms a loop.

Solder together and tape or heat shrink and reassemble as you took apart and the job is done.

Pictures to follow.

Disclaimer:
    Neither Myself or VODC and it's owner can or will be held responsible for any damage done to your vehicle by performing this modification. I have performed this mod on my own vehicle with no ill effect. Any mods performed are at your own risk / leisure.

If you have any questions, please do ask.

Sounds good Gary, something for me to do I think! There is another way by using a VW transporter relay and you can keep the old stalk - Phil did it for our Claire.
    envoy cdx
    envoy cdx

How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay. Empty Re: How2: Install an Omega variable wiper stalk & relay.

Post  envoy cdx Sat May 02, 2009 11:41 pm

vauxhallnutter wrote:

Sounds good Gary, something for me to do I think! There is another way by using a VW transporter relay and you can keep the old stalk - Phil did it for our Claire.

Yeah, but I believe you have to program it each time you use the wipers - this way it's pre-set Smile

Still, it's another option to use cheers
    vauxhallnutter
    vauxhallnutter
    Admin

Post  vauxhallnutter Sat May 02, 2009 11:47 pm

envoy cdx wrote:
    vauxhallnutter wrote:

Yeah, but I believe you have to program it each time you use the wipers - this way it's pre-set Smile

Still, it's another option to use cheers

Yeah thats right matey, there's always different ways to do stuff. I like your idea though sunny
    envoy cdx
    envoy cdx

Post  envoy cdx Sat May 02, 2009 11:49 pm

vauxhallnutter wrote:

Yeah thats right matey, there's always different ways to do stuff. I like your idea though sunny

The idea belongs to Andy K, I've just re-wrote the thing from my own experiences doing this mod. I've always done this on a Vectra B, but that's alot more involved due to it relying on the multi timer for some of the functions - but still do-able bounce

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 4:51 am